Monday, April 03, 2006

In between

In the black and white
of an old photograph
an unsaddled
pale gray horse
stands obliquely
against rich darkness
at the open door
of a long-weathered log barn
front hoof raised
to step through to
promised disappearance
in the shadowy interior
head turned,
one long-lashed sleepy eye
looking back over
his shoulder
at me, where I stand
out of the picture
behind the frame
of a splitrail fence.

Clues in light and texture
and a muddy dampness
in a bit of foreground
suggests that the day
may have been
equivocally early spring,
the sky of a hazed
and featureless
cloudy-brightness.

I no longer remember
whether,
after my camera
caught that moment
of uncertain balance
right at
the point
of in-between
he continued
forward and
disappeared
or circled back
and remained
in open light.

For me, he stays
forever poised
just at the edgy line
dividing two states
uncertain, deciding.

No comments: